Thank you for choosing the Birmingham Museum of Art to take photos! Please read the guidelines below to ensure artworks are safe and you have a pleasant experience.
Any photography or videography without additional equipment or props is welcome at the Museum. This includes but is not limited to: engagement photography, couple photo shoots, family photoshoots, headshots, and prom photography.
- The maximum number of participants for group photography in the galleries, including the photographer and any assistants, may not exceed eight (8) visitors.
- Groups with more than eight participants are welcome to use our sculpture garden, outside, and lobby areas.
- Please be careful not to block stairways, entrances, or other walkways so as not to pose a hazard to other visitors.
- Please do not move or go beyond any barriers.
- Please be sure to turn off your flash inside the Museum. Flash photography may be used in the Sculpture Garden and outside of the Museum.
- Stand at least an arm’s length distance away from works of art.
- Please do not touch works of art (including furniture) or step on platforms in the galleries under any circumstances.
- Please be mindful of your delicate surroundings and careful not to back into works of art.
- Please refrain from using furniture or photo props that are set up for a special event at the Museum.
Photography requiring permission:
- Bridal or Wedding Photography – only available for couples who have a booked wedding at the Museum.
- Photography or videography with props, photography or videography of products, or shoots requiring a change of wardrobe – prior permission needed from Communications
- Any videography or photography with equipment other than a camera (tripods, selfie sticks, lights, reflectors, etc) – prior permission needed from Communications
Contact communications: firstname.lastname@example.org – 72 hours is required for permission.
Thank you for working with us to keep visitors and artworks safe!