The Director of Human Resources (HR) for the Birmingham Museum of Art (BMA) is responsible for ensuring organizational effectiveness and providing leadership and support for the full range of the Museum’s human resources. The Director of HR is a member of the Executive Leadership Team and focuses on planning, organizing, directing, and managing human resources and administration for the BMA to ensure that all areas of responsibility support the Museum’s policies, programs, and mission.
The Director of Human Resources has a wide range of responsibilities including overseeing, handling, and improving human resources processes and systems in areas including recruiting and performance management, compensation, benefits, and employee and labor relations; providing managers and staff with procedures, guidance, support, and information; training and performance development; and ensuring compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
The Director of HR reports to the Museum Director and works collaboratively with the Executive Leadership team. The HR Manager also liaises with the City of Birmingham Human Resources staff as needed due to approximately half of BMA employees working for the City.
Key responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Oversee the recruitment, hiring, and onboarding efforts for all positions, working closely with hiring managers
- Manage employee relations, employee grievances and enforce compliance with labor laws through positive and professional mediation
- Develop, recommend, and implement personnel policies and procedures that closely align with the museum’s culture and mission
- Manage an effective employee review process
- Responsible for managing leave of absences and workers compensation program / claims for non-city employees
- Maintain business relationships with HR vendors
- Maintain organizational charts and employee directory
- Design, implement and evaluate the Museum’s diversity and inclusion efforts
Our ideal candidate will be skilled in managing compensation, benefits, recognition, training, performance management, and employee relations in a manner that retains staff members long-term. The Director of HR is tasked with ensuring that our Museum’s culture welcomes a diverse population and supports each person in achieving career goals within the organization. The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, industrial relations, business management or a related field
- 5-7 years of professional level Human Resources experience preferred; at least 3 years required
- Ability to work with a high sense of urgency and strong time management skills to be able to execute tasks efficiently with strong follow-through
- Commitment to recruiting top talent, and providing staff members with an exceptional work experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Hands-on attitude, problem solver, analytical thinker
- Highly organized and efficient
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment
Please upload Cover Letter and Resume as files one 1 and 2. PDF format only.Apply Now