The Birmingham Museum of Art seeks a designer who will design museum exhibits and print/digital graphics/collateral for the institution, exhibitions, events, in-gallery activities, publications, and more, ensuring maximum community enjoyment, education, and appreciation. The Designer will work with other Museum departments on the design and installation of components of the gallery displays, promotional materials, online exhibitions, social media tools, and other duties as needed.
Work is reviewed by the Design Director through performance evaluations.
The Birmingham Museum of Art is a department of the City of Birmingham.
Creates visual concepts, by hand or using computer software, to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, or captivate visitors. Designs art exhibits including paint color choices, placement of art objects, security, labels, and lighting. Coordinates activities of art handlers and installers to ensure proper installation of all art objects; oversees production and installation of art object labels and text panels. Researches and draws exhibit designs to scale for museum prep department and outside builders; arranges for museum signage for special events or security needs. Working with the Museum Curators, Prep, and Registrar departments the Designer assists in all aspects of the planning, production, design, and installation of exhibitions at the Museum. Uses current technology to design and produce exhibition scaled floor plans and elevations including layout of walls, casework, specific detailed object placement (case layouts) and color schemes in consultation with the design team and curator. Creates three dimensional models, quick concept sketches and renderings. Collaborates with Curators, Digital Media Department, and Education on graphic, technology and interpretive elements of each exhibition or installation. Develops construction and production drawings for contractors, fabricators, and other vendors; supervises vendors on site. Creates print/digital graphics/collateral for the institution, exhibitions, events, in-gallery activities, publications, and more. Assist with projects related to member, donor, and visitor cultivation, including staffing events. Develop and maintain relationships with vendors and agencies including printers, contractors, and other vendors as needed.
Work requires frequent physical effort, such as sitting, standing, walking, bending, kneeling, crawling, climbing, and carrying objects 5–50 pounds for a long duration.
- Knowledge of the practices, methods, and techniques of graphic design and layout
- Knowledge of the design and layout of exhibitions or comparable installations
- Knowledge of the design and implementation of technological aspects of museum displays, including but not limited to interactive maps and content displays, video, podcasts, promotional materials, social media communication, and website design for online exhibitions
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of making technical drawings for exhibit layout designs
- Excellent organizational and computer skills
- Accuracy, patience, and careful attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and work within tight schedules and a fast-paced environment
- Ability to provide constructive critique and feedback
- Highest ethics as they relate to all aspects of museum practices
- A keen eye for design and UX/UI
- A demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and professionally
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Self-directed, able to work independently and effectively
- Demonstrated organizational planning, problem-solving and collaboration skills
Education and Experience
Possession of a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in design, graphic design, architectural design, industrial design, or a related field and three to five years design experience with work in interpretive exhibition design, environmental, graphic design, or architecture.
- BA/BFA in architecture, industrial design, graphic design, or other relevant field
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficiency in Workspace
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, Vectorworks, SketchUp, or other 3D rendering and layout software
- Experience with art handling, art storage, and the installation of a variety of media, using accepted museum standards and practices
- Experience with content management systems such as WordPress
- Knowledge and interest in the arts
- Knowledge and skill in fabrication and in the use and care of hand and power tools
- Skill in wood and/or metal working
- Experience with HTML, motion graphics, UI/UX design
Please apply with letter of interest; resume; names, addresses and phone numbers of three references; and portfolio (link to website or .pdf)Apply Now