- Titles Madonna Adoring the Christ Child (Proper)
- Artist Francesco Botticini, Italy, Florence 1446/47- 1497 Florence
- Medium tempera on panel
- Dimensions 28 x 18 1/8 in. (71.1 x 46 cm) frame: 36 5/8 × 27 1/4 × 3 1/2 in. (93 × 69.2 × 8.9 cm)
- Credit Line Gift of the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, 1961.120
- Work Type painting
- Classification Paintings
- On View
- Inscription On border of Madonna's robe: GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO
- Provenance Octavius E. Coope (died c. 1910), Brentwood, Essex [see note 1]. Sir Anselm William Edward Guise (1888-1970), Gloucester; auctioned by Christie, Manson & Woods, London, July 1, 1921, no. 50; with Frank Sabin, London [see note 2]. Prince Corsini, Florence [see note 3]. With Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi (1878-1955), Florence; purchased by Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York, July 1, 1950 as Sandro Botticelli; on loan to the Birmingham Museum of Art, 1952; gift of the Kress Foundation to the Birmingham Museum of Art, 1961
1. According to Christie, Manson & Woods, London, July 1, 1921 sale catalogue, lot no. 50. The picture was not included in the estate sale of Coope's paintings collection held at Christie's, London, May 6, 1910.
2. Buyer according to annotated auctioneer catalogue, Christie's Archive, London.
3. Provenance information from Suida, William. Birmingham Museum of Art: The Samuel H. Kress Collection (Birmingham, AL: Birmingham Museum of Art, 1952), 37. No further information on the identity of Prince Corsini is known.