- Titles Lobster Bowl (Descriptive)
- Artist Wedgwood, England, est. 1759
- Medium glazed earthenware (Majolica), Argenta ware and electroplated nickel silver
- Dimensions 4 3/4 × 10 in. Diam. (12.1 × 25.4 cm)
- Credit Line Collection of the Art Fund, Inc. at the Birmingham Museum of Art; The Buten Wedgwood Collection, gift through the Wedgwood Society of New York, AFI.652.2012
- Work Type bowl
- Classification Containers
- On View
- Signature On the underside impressed WEDGWOOD and the three-letter date code WMN for August 1885, with an illegible impressed registry mark, pattern number C2457.
- Marks On the underside impressed WEDGWOOD and the three-letter date code WMN for August 1885, with an illegible impressed registry mark, pattern number C2457.
- Inscription None
- Provenance With dealer Richards, London, prior to 1968 [see note 1]; purchased by Harry and Nettie Buten, Merion, Pennsylvania in 1968 [see note 2]; by gift to their daughter Beatrice Buten Magee [see note 3] [see note 4]; by gift to the Art Fund, Inc. at the Birmingham Museum of Art in 2012
1. According to the catalog card that came with the object. The identity of Richards is unknown.
2. The bowl was housed in the Buten Museum of Wedgwood in Merion, Pennsylvania, until the museum closed in 1988. At that time, the bowl was transferred to Nassau County Museums, Sands Point, Long Island, New York on long-term loan and remained there until 2008.
3. Date of gift unknown.
4. The bowl was moved to the Birmingham Museum of Art in August 2008 and remained on loan until the gift in 2012.