- Titles Le repas froid pendant la chasse (The Hunt Picnic) (Proper)
- Artist Christophe Huet, French, 1700 - 1759
- Medium oil on canvas
- Dimensions 119 1/2 x 44 1/4 in. (303.5 x 112.4 cm)
- Credit Line Museum purchase with funds provided by the Art Fund, Inc. at the Birmingham Museum of Art, and the 1992 Museum Dinner and Ball, 1992.1.3
- Work Type painting
- Classification Paintings
- On View
- Signature None
- Marks None
- Inscription Verso, upper stretcher, left, stamp and pen on sticker: 58/4 [pen] / 6268 [stamped] Vrso, upper stretcher, right, marker: x 58 Verso, right stretcher, upper center, marker: x 58/4 / g Verso, horizontal strainer, center right, pen on orange label: K / M120930/800 (4) C-11 [difficult to read] Verso, left strainer, upper center, graphite: [two-way horizontal arrow] / 49 1/2" Verso, left stretcher, center, pencil: Jeuliere [or Jeilliere] Verso, left stretcher, lower left, ink on red label: 4533 Verso, vertical strainer, center, black ink: B
- Provenance Probably commissioned by the Titon family for Château d'Ognon-en-Valois, France, about 1750 [see note 1]. Auctioned at Hôtel George V, Paris, March 18-19, 1981, lot 73A-D. Elizabeth “Libby” Avery Keck (1921-2017), Keck Collection, La Laterne, Bel Air, California, by April 1987 [see note 2]; auctioned at Important Old Master Paintings, Sotheby's New York, January 17, 1992, lot 58; purchased by the Birmingham Museum of Art, Alabama, 1992
1. According to Raymond Poussard, “Halatte: Deux Mille ans d'Art et d'Histoire Autour d'une Forêt Royale: Ognon et Chamant châteaux des Titon.” Groupement d’Étude des Monuments et Œuvres d’art de l’Oise et du Beauvaisis (Bulletin du G.E.M.O.B.) 92-94 (October 1, 1999): Note 144. The 1981 auction catalog mentioned the paintings as coming from the Château d'Ognon-en-Valois. It is unclear how long 1991.1.1-.4 remained there.
2. 1992.1.1-.4 are discussed and illustrated in an article on Keck’s collection. Leon Harris, “La Laterne: Libby Keck has Reassembled the Regal Glories of Versailles in California.” Connoisseur Magazine (April 1987): 116-117, ill.