The design on this plate is known as the Fitzhugh pattern, which is one of the most popular underglaze blue designs. The name Fitzhugh derives from a service ordered by Captain Thomas Fitzhugh in Guangzhou in 1780. Thomas Fitzhugh was the Director of the British East India Company from 1786 to 1800.
- Titles Bowl (Descriptive)
- Artist China
- Medium porcelain with underglaze blue decoration, Export ware
- Dimensions 2 x 19 3/4 x 13 1/2 in. (5.1 x 50.2 x 34.3 cm)
- Credit Line Gift of Mr. and Mrs. William M. Silsbee, 1983.78
- Work Type bowl
- Classification Containers