The bishop in this panel is unidentifiable, but St. Francis is distinguished by his simple brown habit and the stigmata, or marks of the five wounds of Christ’s crucifixion, which St. Francis is documented as receiving in 1224. Based on the presence of St. Francis here and St. Lucy in the related painting, a possible original location for the triptych of these two panels and the Madonna and Child by Anguilla, is the oratory of Santa Lucia, annexed to the church of San Francesco in Lucca.
- Titles Bishop Saint and Saint Francis of Assisi (Proper)
- Artist Attributed to, Francesco di Andrea Anguilla, Italy, Lucca, doc. 1384 - 1444 / Formerly attributed to, Turino di Vanni, Italy, 1349 - 1438
- Medium tempera on panel
- Dimensions 53 x 19 3/8 in. (134.6 x 49.2 cm) frame: 63 1/2 × 25 5/8 × 5 1/8 in. (161.3 × 65.1 × 13 cm)
- Credit Line Gift of the Birmingham Public Library, 1998.64
- Work Type painting
- Classification Paintings
- On View
- Provenance Possibly Oratory of Santa Lucia, Lucca [see note 1]. With Count Alessandro Contini-Bonacossi (1878-1955), Florence; purchased by Samuel H. Kress (1863-1955), New York, September 13, 1931 as Turino Vanni; gift of the Kress Foundation to the Birmingham Public Library, 1933; on loan to the Birmingham Museum of Art, 1952; gift of the Birmingham Public Library to the Birmingham Museum of Art, 1998
1. According to Labriola, Ada. Sumptuosa tabula picta. Pittori a Lucca tra gotico e rinascimento. Edited by Maria Teresa Filieri. Livorno: Sillabe, 1998, 249, Miklós Boskovitz suggests and the author agrees that BMA 1998.63 and 1998.64 look stylistically similar to and may have formed the lateral wings of the Madonna of Montecarlo painted in 1434.