Centerpiece “Low Naiad Centre”On Display

In 1860, the Wedgwood factory initiated the use of impressed, three-letter marks on all of its earthenware productions. The first letter indicates the month, the second the potter, and the third the year. While the names of the potters remain for the most part unknown today, the first and third letter provide a key to exactly when an object was made. The three-letter mark for this centerpiece is “AHN,” which according to the factory’s code tells us that it was made in April 1885.

  • April 1885
  • 11 x 17 1/2 x 8 in. (27.9 x 44.5 x 20.3 cm)
  • 1999.52
  • Gift of Susan S. Weitzen
  • With Earl Buckman, Dallas, TX; Susan S. Weitzen (purchased at WIS in Birmingham 1990 from Earl Buckman); Birmingham Museum of Art